The Children’s Ministry of Huguenot Road Baptist Church is guided by the idea that church and family work together to help guide and grow children who love God and follow Jesus. Our ministries are designed to help support and encourage parents as they do the daily work of shaping their child’s spiritual growth. Come grow and learn with us!
Bible Study Music and Missions
We offer age-graded Sunday school classes that meet at 9:45 am, between our two Sunday morning worship services. Children learn about God's love through Bible Stories that mirror what will be taught from the pulpit during worship. For our youngest children, we offer Extended Teaching Care during our worship services. This is offered for children ages birth - preschool. Because we believe faith is best taught through shared experiences, our school-age children worship with their parents and the congregation. With a child's attention span in mind, we offer children's worship resources in our narthex. Ask a greeter for help in locating these worship tools. A children's sermon is also offered in the late service. During this time, children are encouraged to gather around one of the ministers for a short lesson that relates to the worship theme that day. On Wednesday evenings, we offer a children's choir, named King's Kids. King's Kids meets at 6:15 pm and rehearses for 45 minutes. The choir provides music leadership during worship during the year and presents a musical in May. At 7:00 pm, children meet for Extreme Kids Missions, where they learn how the love of God is being expressed locally and around the world through our partner missions. Children also plan and carry our their own mission experiences.
Because we believe that families learn and grow together, we offer fun events for the whole family. Those events include things such as:
- Family Movie Night: Pizza, popcorn, pj’s, movie on the big screen in the gym . . . can you say FUN?
- Valentine Brigade: Children’s classes work with adult classes to make gifts to be delivered to homebound people in our community.
- Children’s Easter Celebration: Celebrating spring and new life with games, stories, and treats.
- July 4th Parade and Picnic: A fun neighborhood parade, followed by a shared picnic.
- Back To School Bash: Celebrate the beginning of a new school year, complete with bounce houses, good food, music, games, and finished off by a blessing of the children’s backpacks.
Opportunities to Learn, Grow, and Serve
We believe that children grow and learn to love God and follow Jesus through many means. In order to help your child’s growing awareness of God, and how we can serve God by serving others, we provide opportunities for your child and family, such as:
- Parent/Child Dedication services: We provide times during Advent and on Mother’s Day for you to dedicate your family to the nurturing of your child, as they are learning to love God and follow Jesus. These times are generally for infants and very young preschoolers, but some families who have not before dedicated themselves to this pursuit decide to present themselves for dedication with older children. You can contact Amanda Lott to receive more information or to schedule a time for your family’s dedication
- First Grade Bible Presentation: Each January, first graders receive a Bible of their own, in a translation they can easily read and understand.
- CARITAS: Our children’s ministry serves one night of HRBC’s week to host homeless guests; parents and children work together to serve and clean up dinner.
- Summer Vacation Bible School for ages 4 years through completed 5th grade.
- Worship Transition for Kindergartners: When your child moves from preschool to kindergarten, we work with your family to make the transition to corporate worship a good one for your family. Each fall, kindergartners will participate in a 6-week transition class and receive a hearty Welcome to Big Church.
- Important Questions class: Our IQ class helps parents and older children get and find the answers to the important questions that arise when children are asking about following Jesus. This class includes a parent portion and a children’s portion, so everyone has the information they need for this important decision.