Huguenot Road Baptist Church is a fellowship of Christians who are connected by God’s love made known in Jesus Christ. Our purpose is worshiping, loving, growing and serving in the name of Jesus Christ. We seek to grow together as followers of Jesus so that through our transformed lives, Jesus can use us to be a transformative presence in RVA and beyond.
Huguenot Road Baptist Church is a place where God’s love is tangible.
From the first greeting when you arrive, it is clear that HRBC is a place that loves God and loves people. Along the many milestones in your family’s life, the people of HRBC will be present to celebrate, mourn, and walk with you. Along the way, you will find you, too, will be walking a supportive path with others in this congregation.
Huguenot Road Baptist Church is a community that is intergenerational.
It is expressed in worship where children, youth and adults of all ages worship side-by-side. All ages are given leadership roles in worship, serve alongside one another on mission, and celebrate God’s work in our individual and collective lives.
Huguenot Road Baptist Church is a fellowship of growing relationships.
Opportunities abound for learning about God’s love for all creation, especially in the person of Jesus. Bible classes and small groups for all ages meet throughout the week, but especially on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings, when there is a class meeting for all ages.
Huguenot Road Baptist Church is a people who are compelled by Christ’s love to be a transforming presence.
Empowered by the Holy Spirit, each member has gifts that when shared, have the power to transform the world around them. The people of HRBC are called to share their giftedness in their homes, in their community, at work, at play, and oftentimes on mission with our local, national and international partners.
What We Believe
HRBC accepts the Bible as its authority in matters of faith and practice. Our understanding of Christian truth in the Bible is in essential accord with the belief of Baptist churches as indicated in “The Baptist Faith and Message” adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention in 1963. This congregation has no single creed or confession of faith, but we can summarize our most commonly held beliefs as follows:
- There is one and only one living and true God, whom we know as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Forgiveness of sin, right relationship with God and eternal life are offered to us by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ.
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God, revealing to us the nature, character and purposes of God.
- The Church is comprised of those who have responded in faith to the saving grace of God and who seek to serve him.
- Baptism and the Lord’s Supper are regularly practiced by Christians as symbols of Christ’s sacrifice and of our commitment to God in Christ.
- In accordance with historic Baptist principles, we affirm: the Bible as our source of spiritual truth, the priesthood of every believer, the autonomy of each local church and the separation of church and state.
- Worship, evangelism, discipleship, fellowship, ministry and missions are all integral aspects of the life of the church, beginning in our local setting and extending worldwide.
- God calls and gifts both men and women for the work of ministry and holds us accountable for our obedience to his leadership.
- Growth in our faith and knowledge of God is normal, necessary and results in service to others.
- We cooperate with other Christians and with other churches to accomplish God’s work and will in the world.
We are affiliated with the following Baptist groups: