Your Church Council has listened to you! As you may know, conversations regarding our worship services have been swirling around HRBC for quite some time. At almost every council meeting over the past several years, the issue has been raised. We want to assure you that our recommendation at the July congregational meeting did not reflect any hidden agenda.
We agree with you that we need more time to pray, struggle with, and discern the answers to these two questions:
· What does it look like to surrender to God’s will and the Spirit’s leadership both individually and corporately?
· What is God’s longing for HRBC when it gathers to worship?
Quite honestly, we do not know where struggling with these questions will lead us. However, we believe that if we engage in this process earnestly, honestly, and together, God will lead us to the place we need to be.
With that in mind, here is how we will facilitate this 40-plus day discernment:
· Beginning September 7, we will provide all members with individual exercises that will encourage each of us to become open to God’s Spirit. This will continue throughout the whole process. Our prayer is that it will become a way of life for you.
· We ask that Sunday School classes invest two Sundays (September 21 and 28) in a small group discernment exercise.
· We will offer at least one large group discernment exercise during the weeks of October 5 and 12 as well. During this time, we will include conversation regarding the number of worship services.
We will provide guides/resources for all three elements of the discernment process. Please begin praying for yourselves and each other, that we all will engage fully in this time of discernment and truly be open to where God is leading us.